Friday, September 28, 2007

Roland XP-50




I bought this board about 10 years ago at a pawn shop. At the time I had never heard the word midi and did not even own a computer, (and now I work for Geek squad???...who knew huh). Anyway, I'm just saying I had no clue on how to do anything with it except play it like a piano.

I put it in a closet for 8 years and almost sold it 2 or 3 times, I'm so glad I never did.

After I started working on PC's for a living I got to hang around a lot of people who messed with midi, once I saw how it worked I drug my XP-50 out of the closet and blew the dust off of it and now I'm building a whole studio. Once again, I'm glad I held onto it. This thing is great. I love the sounds it has in it. It also had a dance expansion pack in it when I bought it so I have some good "Rave,techno-type sounds in it as well.

The keys have a nice feel to them and the jog wheel makes it easy to scroll through your patches. I have not messed with the sequencer much on it since I use the PC to do that part of it.


Here are the specs on the board


64-voice polyphony; 16-part multitimbral capability; 512 preset patches; 8 MB of internal waveform memory
32-bit custom RISC chip
Redesigned 16-track sequencer; 100 patterns
Accepts any four SR-JV80 Series expansion boards
40 insert effects in addition to digital reverb and chorus
Direct-from-disk playback; Realtime Phrase Sequencing
GM/GS Compatible


They are great boards.



You can usually find them on eBay starting around 450 and up based to their condition.



2 comments:

Mark said...

I've got a Roland XP50 but have no clue how to connect them to the PC except using Line-In jack. I even bought MIDI cables.

Recently, there is no sound when I use the Line-In connection, even though the Line-In jack is enabled and the volume slider is all the way to the max. I've also tried connecting my Roland XP-50 to my hifi, friend's speakers etc. Still no sound. My friends think there could be a problem with the keyboard's Line-Out jack. Would you happen to have any clue?

My PC is running on Windows Vista

Anonymous said...

Hey man i just got a XP-50 and i'm looking for some help with it if you ever have the time e-mail so i can go over something of the things i'm trying to accomplish with this machine.

e-mail = outlikeshoutt@gmail.com