Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Hang Drum ? Very cool indeed



I was sifting through Youtube a minute ago and saw something so cool I decided to post about it right now. I saw this video of a guy with this big metal biscuit looking thing sitting on his lap. He started tapping on it with his fingers and it sounded very similar to the steel drums (or piano drums) you hear in the Caribbean. It is called a Hang drum (pronounced hung) and they are way cool. Right off the bat I wanted one. I looked at some more videos and it just made me want one even more. So its off to eBay, I'm sure there will be some on there......nope. There was one but it had 2 days left and was already up to 3025 dollars! I cant believe an instrument Ive never heard of costs this much.
After doing more searching I found no websites selling them and only a few that even talked about them. I also found that the instrument had only been around since 2000. Its not every day a completely new instrument is created (at least one that is not electronic). The hang made its debut at Musikmesse Frankfurt in 2001. Its design is attributed to the instrument builders Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer. Supposedly their workshop in Berne is where every Hang in existence was made. They do not ship instruments directly nor do they sell them through any retailers. (makes ya want one even more now huh?)

Anyway I thought this was a very cool instrument but ill be waiting until others start producing the knockoffs I guess because I don't see me going to Berne or dropping 5000-8000 dollars on eBay for one in the near future.


Oh yeah This guy has a good idea. He made one out of a propane tank for 27 dollars, not even close to the same sound but fun none the less. Here is a video of his "Hank Drum"

No comments: