Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Repaired my Electribe for $1.40 and some Research.


If you read last night's post then you know I was not a happy man when I saw smoke coming from my Korg Electribe ER1 last night. I spent an hour researching to find out anything I could about the problem. I found KorgForums.com (awesome site BTW) and got some answers just by reading older posts.


I found someone who had a Korg Triton that had popped and quit powering up. They found it to be a very inexpensive capacitor that had blown and had someone repair it at a local shop for a little over a hundred dollars.


I do not have a hundred dollars, I have 3 kids instead. I opened up the unit and the first thing I saw was a blown capacitor. Then I went to youtube and found some videos of people soldering ,then I went to some other sites to do the research on capacitors and replacing them. The next day I took the board with the blown cap on it to a local electronics store and showed the tech at the bench. He was nice enough to show me how to do the repair and I bought a new cap for 1 dollar and 40 cents.


It took about an hour for me to fix it but I'm sure it would have taken him 3 min. Anyway $1.40 beats 100 or so and I learned something in the process. I'm sure it is not always this easy but in this case it was so before you toss out an expensive piece of hardware just because it wont come on and smoke rolled out of it get on the web and do some research, It might be worth your time.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo its Mike from the Cd Tradepost, you got some pretty dope stuff on here. And yo I wouldve went crazy if my Korg went on the fritz, but its dope that you got it fixed for the price of a Big n Tasty.

Eddie Peay said...

Yeah I thought it was toast so I figured it couldnt hurt to tear into it, it was broke anyway. Lucked out. Gimmi a link to your myspace and Ill check out your blogs. Lata