Tuesday, January 8, 2008

HELP! I think I toasted my Korg ER-1 MK2


Last night I went to plug in my ER1 and I noticed that it did not light up in its normal fashion. A couple of seconds later (like 10) I heard a pop and then saw smoke coming from around the jack where the dc9v adapter plugs in. I immediately unplugged it and shouted an array of words that I will refrain from typing in this post.

I called one of my friends from work who has had an electribe repaired around here before. He said it costs him around 80 bucks. I paid 150 for this at a pawn shop so I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it.

SOOOOOO..... I took it apart like any wanna be McGiver would do.

Inside I can see that the capacitor is popped. It is swollen on top and the plastic coating is ripped down the side. I traced it on the board right to where the adapter plugs in so it is the first cap after power from the adapter.

I am going to try and replace the capacitor if I can find one with the same values, It seems easy to get to and only has 2 solder points. My question is has anyone done any repairs like this before and if so do you have any suggestions before I jump in the water. My other question is do you think that is all that I will need to replaced or is the rest of it fried too. I wonder if since it was the first thing in line after power if it acted like a fuse and stopped the problem there. I also wonder why it popped in the first place?

Anyway any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ima go cry now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey eddie! I had to replace some caps on a motherboard once, it wasn't too too bad. Check out badcaps.net - the guy there (chris) posted a pretty clear how-to. It's pretty easy, just match up which cap you replace it with and be careful where you put your solder tip and don't fry through any parts of your curcuit board.

Eddie Peay said...

Well Well Mr j bills. I didnt know you were still reading my blog. I did just what you are talking about and posted a video of me fixing it. Thanks for the tips. It wasnt too bad at all. Fixed it for 1.40. Hows New Zealand treating you guys?

Anonymous said...

have you had your korg er mk11 plugged in to the pc thru midi??
i have had nightmares with it..
if u do, what software do u use

any help on this matter would be well appreciated..

lew

Eddie Peay said...

re-lew, sorry man,the only midi I use on my electribes is to daisychain them together (midi out of er1 to midi in ea1,midi thru ea1 to midi in es1) so I can get them clocked and in sync. Then I just audio out of each one to mixer into DAW. I never had a reason to go midi to pc. It sounds like it could be a nightmare mapping it though.