Monday, November 19, 2007

Free Mac digital audio workstation


First off I want to be upfront about the fact that I have not tried this software out for myself. This is not because I didn't want to but because it's only for Mac and Linux (go ahead mackies,rub it in my face). I ran across this on night while doing research for the blog. I read about it and saw that it was getting a lot of buzz online so I went to get it and that's when I found it was Mac only.
The software is called Ardour. It is digital audio workstation like Protools or Cubase. It is all open source so it is free.
The software's feature are: multichannel recording, non-destructive editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a powerful mixer, unlimited tracks/busses/plugins, timecode synchronization, and hardware control from surfaces like the Mackie Control Universal. This is a direct quote from their website. "If you've been looking for a tool similar to ProTools, Nuendo, Pyramix, or Sequoia, you might have found it"
So there ya go. If anybody tries it out or has used it before please leave a comment so our readers can get your opinion on it.
Here is a link to the download page for it. http://ardour.org/download. Let us know what you think

"

4 comments:

Marc said...

I tried to setup a Linux Audio computer a few years a go, and it worked but it was a real head ache, and Ardour was really buggy.

Form the looks of thing Linux Audio is starting to really take off. look at www.64studio.com, and //ubuntustudio.org/

I'll download on of these guys and give see what happens.

Eddie Peay said...

re-stonedtrout
I have not used linux much at all. They always give us ubuntu stuff from Geek Squad (where I work)so I guess I should check it out sometime. I am glad you commented on the post with some good feedback. My blog gets pleant of views and the numbers are climbing but I cant seem to get anyone to comment??? Anyway, thanks for the feedback

Marc said...

I downloaded Ubuntu and 64 Studio last night and was excited to install on of them and test out Linux audio. 64 studio had some issue with my video card and Ubuntu did not see my sound card (EMU 0404). what a bummer i really wanted to try this out.

Shawn said...

I run Ubuntu Studio on a Dell laptop, the whole setup has run flawlessly. A few years prior I had given Ardour a shot and it has come a long way since.

It is also possible to use VST plugins with Ardour. There is a lot of information to be found via google that shows ways to configure things like sound and video cards on linux. Ubuntu Studio is by far the best way to setup a linux audio workstation.