Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vocaloid



I was zipping around on YouTube a while back and ran across this video called "Vocaloid live concert part 1". I did not understand what was going on in the video and I could not figure out a few things right off the bat.



A) was it a real voice

B) are these holograms

C) are people really at a concert with "fake" people on the stage.

After some Google searches I soon found the answers to these three questions were No, Kinda, and yes.

-Was it a real voice = no

-Were they holograms = kind of, more like a projection onto a clear surface like the projection show on the sheet of water at Disneyland.


- are people really at a concert with "fake" people on stage = yes

Here is a video showing the software in action.

Basically Vocaloid is software that uses a piano roll interface but instead of synth sounds like pianos, violins, and trumpets you get virtual singer's voices like Leon's voice, Lola's voice and Miriam's voice.

You type in the word you want the virtual singer to sing and put the note where you want it on the piano roll and it sings it. It sounds pretty crazy and technically you can now compose a whole song from a keyboard without the use of even one real instrument or even a real singer. Welcome to the future I guess.

Anyway check it out here at their website. You can download a free trial but you only get five words you can use. Kinda funny too, you just get I, Love, You, Baby, and OOhh. Then again if you go to any of todays R&B/Pop stations you might find that you can make a top 40 hit with only those 5 words. Dont be hatin, Im just kidding....kinda.

When you are finished checking out the software just youtube "Vocaloid concert" and see all of the crazy concerts overseas with thousands of people cheering and fist pumping to their holographic heroes on stage. Kinda creepy if you ask me but still kept me clicking on more videos for 20 min or so.




1 comment:

Alternativo said...

Hello ! great blog bro, I saw the post about the casio pt-82, and I was wondering if you can help me to circuit bent mine, whit a diagram or something, I don't wanna make a shortcuit, and don't know which wires connect.Thanks!


P.S. sorry for my english xD and i'm from a place where people can't help me so much about circuit bending