Thursday, February 14, 2008

CD Turntable Refurbishment

This little guy spent a long time in a night club. I'm sure if this thing could talk it could tell you some stories. In it's stay atop the DJ booth it inhaled a LOT of smoke and had a cocktail or two spilled on it. It's FFW and RWD buttons did not work, nor did the play button. The jog wheel was sticky, and it was just dirty all the way through. I must say it did still play cds even after all of that.

This thing was about to see the trash can when I decided to take a chance on it and see what I could do.

It took about 3 hours of cleaning and soldering to get this thing back on it's feet but when all was said and done it looks and plays like a brand new one.

I had an old broken VCR of my mom's in the trash. (because I had tried to repair it and failed) It had the same kind of buttons on it for the play and FFW as the CD player so I got out the soldering iron and started removing them from the VCR. Once I had that done I removed the gummed up ones from the CD player and re soldered the ones from the VCR on the circuit board of the player. The buttons were a little shorter so I shaved a little of the plastic from the bigger buttons (the ones you actually push, not the ones on the board) so they would go down far enough to make contact.

I cleaned everything up and let the plastic parts soak in soapy water for 15 min. or so. I used a Q-tip and alcohol to remove the pop/nicotine from the places I could not get wet. After all was said and done I basically have a near new Pioneer CDJ100S.

So, as I have said before, don't be so quick to toss that high dollar piece of equipment when it goes down. Digg into it and see what happens, after all if you mess it up who cares, it was broke anyway.

No comments: